Thursday 20 September 2007

Eat

Eat

Ram and food are a bit like chalk and cheese; they don't get along, but I wouldn't put it past him to try the two together! Well, his favourite used to be Marmite and chocolate spread mixed together!

He does eat a fairly well balanced diet of foods close to their natural state, that is, not to much processed food, but he is limited in what he has.

Lately he has dropped a few things, but nothing have taken their place. So I was a bit worried about what he would eat while we were away, as well as being concerned that he is lacking in iron.

Luckily he managed to eat fairly well while we were at Ursula's house. Her two kids eat well, and will have the same things as the parents eat, and I always hope that Ram will take the hint, but he didn't. I thought we were going to have problems on the night we had fish, as it was smoked and it did smell more than his fish fingers, but he managed to stay in the same room as us!

He did try one new food. Hope made ice-cream! I have made ice-cream for him before but he has always refused it, so I was both surprised and pleased when he not only ate his own little pot of it, but managed to sneak a bit of mine too. Serves me right for chatting while eating!

So when we got home I had to order some cream from the milk man, and get the recipe from Ursula. I knew it was touch and go as to whether he would have mine at home. Luckily it went well and he loved it. I am sure that freezing it in little ramekins the way it was at Ursula's made all the difference. So now we will be having a regular order of cream!

I was still worried about his iron levels, as there isn't much he eats that contains iron and I know that when kids have a growth spurt they can get low on iron. He is pale and does run out of steam pretty fast these days. So when we were in the health food shop I got down to eye level with him (he was in the buggy) and explained that I had noticed that he was getting to be more like a vampire every day and that there was two things he could do about it. He could gnaw on an iron bar, or take some Floradix! He initially chose the iron bar of course, but after a discussion he decided that we should both take Floradix, and he chose the adult version rather than the orange flavoured on.

We have our first trial run that night at supper. He had the food ready, and a glass of water. He took the Floradix and I sat on the edge of my chair holding my breath. Slowly he put the little cup down. 'Not to bad' he said! I sighed in relief! But he does say that he has to wash it down with water and then eat something to take away the taste properly.

This is the first time I have been able to get him to take a supplement. Between that and the ice-cream, maybe he is finally learning to eat!

No comments: