Tuesday 18 December 2007

My Boy is Growing Up

It was a very hectic day for the adults of the house, but Ram was busy too. Busy learning new skills and consolidating others.

It was respite day so the Dxh arrived at 10 and I went out to do the last monthly shop before Christmas. While in bed I told Ram that if there was anything that he was expecting in his stocking he needed to tell me now, and I also needed to know if there was anything special that he wanted to eat on Christmas day.

Often he just assumes that I know these things and then gets upset when they don't appear!

After a little thought he informed me that he didn't want an orange in his, he would prefer a lemon because they are more acidic! I said that would be fine but then we went through all the different types of citrus fruit and how they taste.

Then he went on to say that the special thing he wanted to eat on Christmas day was Rise Krispie Squares! So easy and simple to make, and can be done ahead of time. But I will have to hide them so he doesn't eat them before the day!

I then went off to shop while the Dxh and Ram played. It was very busy and it took me a long time to get a parking spot (in rural areas, although those that live in town can walk, most people have to drive into town) and the shops were more crowded than usual. And yet in Somerfield they kept saying that they would be open on Boxing Day and New Year's Day as well as until late every night! So I am not sure what the rush is all about!

When in the green grocer's I bought one of each citrus fruit they had, so hopefully over the next week or so we can get Ram to try them all. He seems so much more open to new things just at the moment.

After lunch Dxh started working on the underfloor heating that wasn't working quite right. We suspected that the motorised valves were gummed up with lime scale, so I read aloud to Ram while he worked in the next room, occasionally going into help. Ram didn't mind much because he was really busy making a Christmas present for Bob, his cuddly sheep!

I don't think Ram has ever thought about someone else in that way, and certainly hasn't made something on his own accord for someone else before. Mind you, it is Lego! It is a Lego weapon suit. I can't show a photo of it because we then wrapped it!

Ram said that most amazing thing while we were choosing the paper out of our selection of reclaimed wrapping paper. He actually said that he wanted to choose a paper that Bob would like and went though each one to find one that he thought Bob would like! Ram usually doesn't really understand about what other people want, but can only see things from his own point of view. This is a big change for him.

As the Dxh was busy with the heating, we went out and prepared to bring the tree in. Ram has never used a large saw before, so I taught him how to use the cross cut saw. It took him a few minutes to get the hang of it, and he managed to cut through half the trunk before his arm got tired. He then said another amazing thing. He said that he wasn't as good as me as he hadn't had enough practice and wasn't as strong as me!

Usually when Ram tries something if he can't do it perfectly he gives up immediately and doesn't try again saying that he is no good and will never be able to do it. But today he carried on until he was better and when I suggested that by next year he would be strong enough to cut the whole trunk off, he agreed!

My boy is growing up!

After we got the tree in we went up to see how Dxh was doing. I took apart one of the old valves to see if it was indeed lime scale that caused it to fail. We then gave Ram a quick lesson on how valves work.

It was getting on for a cup of tea time, so I went down to put the kettle on. I heard an exclamation coming from the bathroom where the boys were working, and called up to see if everything was all right. Dxh said yes, then Ram came out and said that Dad had caused an explosion and there was a bang and a flash of light but it was ok because he was still alive.

I thought he was teasing me, as he had said the same thing this morning to me. Then Dxh came down with the multimeter (measures electricity) to show me the melted tips of the probes! Ram had been telling me the truth! So Dxh had to give Ram a quick lesson in electricity! (Dxh is a registered electrician so don't worry, he does know his stuff, he just had the multimeter on the wrong setting!)

With all my men safely back downstairs (Bob had been watching but was carefully put out of range of danger) we finished setting the tree up, and put the first present under it, which of course was Bob's! Ram was really excited for Bob, which is amazing as you would think that Ram would want one of his presents to be first under the tree.

There is a definite shift in the way Ram is thinking. First he started treating a stuffed animal in a way that a toddler would, and then he started putting that animal first before his own needs.

This is all so exciting for me just like the excitement a mum feels when her toddler starts to grow up and do cute things like this.

And who knows, maybe I might be the recipient of the first present next year!

No comments: