Wednesday 4 July 2007

Today was our home educators meeting. Ram was very excited as usual and didn't settle in the morning as he was anxious about going.

We decided to have a sports day this week, so for our contribution we took our dress-up box. Ram doesn't often dress up anymore, but did go through a phase of using it a lot. We have in it some old clothes of mine, things from charity shops, some of my mother-in-law's things, and some odd things like net curtains and dog leads.

Don't ask why! I think we were just tidying up one day and that was the nearest box to put them in!

There were also some things that I had bought for themed parties that I used to go to in London. So my gangster's mole's costume was in there complete with fur stole. That lead to some interesting discussions! But that is all part of education; opening oneself to views other than one's own.

When we got there we put the box in the middle of the floor and immediately the kids started trying things on. Even the older boys had a go.

We then went outside and divided up into two teams. Ram refused to join in, which I was expecting. Usually I stand in for him in things like this. Sometimes he will watch what is going on, then take my place later.

First we played under over with the ball, then rolling it between all our legs. Then Ram and I ran the dress-up relay where each team has a costume that each person has to put on, run to the other end, take off, and then the next person puts it on.

By now Ram had lost it. He saw that some of the younger children were playing with his Bionicle sword. I had asked him specially if he wanted it left at home or kept in the box and he chose to take it. I did explain that other children may play with it and he accepted that.

I did have my reservations, but I think that children can make their own decisions. They don't always make the right ones, but they do have to learn to make them and figure out how to sort things out if the wrong one is make.

In this case the wrong one was made and I facilitated to help put it right. I explained to the other children that Ram was worried that it would get boken, and asked if they would mind if we put it away. They didn't mind at all! So I put it back in the car.

By then however, Ram had become so upset that he needed to cool down. He wasn't happy in the hall, and couldn't stay out in the yard as the games were still going on. So he went into the woods. He wanted to be alone but I wasn't comfortable with him in the woods on his own. It is very steep in places and I was worried that if he fell and hurt himself there was no one to come back and get help.

So I followed him in. I was a long way behind him because I had never been in the woods before, but eventually I found him. At first I thought that he was talking to someone else but then I realised that he was talking to himself! I couldn't hear what he was saying but he seemed calm again so I revealed myself and he showed me around the den. He was quite happy now, as if nothing had happened.

I felt really honoured that he let me see the secret place where the boys like to play!

By then the games were over and the other boys came in so I made a quick exit so that the boys could be boys together.

After all, even if I am a bit of a tomboy, and even if home educated young people enjoy the company of parents, there is still a time and place for being a boy on your own with your peers!

No comments: