Wednesday 27 June 2007

Life is Easy

We have an easy day today. Ram slept until after nine, then we read for over an hour and ended up having breakfast at nearly lunch time! Well, I have my first breakfast at 6.30 so it was only elevenses for me.

As usual Ram had a recovery day, mostly spent on the computer. This game me time to catch up on washing both clothes and dishes. I don't know how working parents fit in all the household duties as well as working outside the home. Mind you at least the house must stay in the same state as they leave it in the morning!

To day Ram decided that it would be fun to take a large piece of tissue paper and rip it into strips with different weapons made from Lego Bionicle. He hung it over the trapeze and slashed at it to see which weapon worked best. I just quietly let him get on with it, but did mention that he would have to tidy it up before bed.

We started our new plan to get to bed a little earlier. Ram happily turned off the computer before coming for supper. We listened to the funny thing, then watched Saving Planet Earth, then I read aloud to him.

When it was getting to bed time I stopped reading and handed him the dustpan and brush and said that the paper needed cleaning up, then went into the study to turn off my computer. While I was giving him a chance to sweep up the paper I answered an email from a friend. I didn't want to crowd him as I knew that if I put too much pressure on him he would refuse to do it. By pointing out earlier that it would need to be cleaned up before bed, then by making the statement 'the paper needs to be cleaned up' rather than asking him to do it, I knew I had a chance of him cooperating. And it worked, but he fell short of actually emptying the dust pan into the bin!

When he came into the study to tell him he was finished he was a bit annoyed that I was on my computer and he couldn't be on his, but I think he understands that I was just turning it off not playing a game.

So up we went about an hour earlier than usual with no complaints! This might actually work!

No comments: