Thursday 28 June 2007

Where Did All the Energy Go?

It was a busy day for all today. Dxh was here for respite day. I know that it must sound like when I have a respite day I get a day off, but respite days can actually be more tiring for me as there is so much to pack into one!

The early to bed last night worked and Ram was awake early enough that we were dressed when Dxh got here. I had to settle everyone in quickly because I went over to see MDF first thing. She is much better this week and not so tired. We had some great discussions about religion and diet amongst other things. Luckily her mother is there to take care of her so I knew that if I tired her out too much she would be able to have a nap and that her mum would get her lunch for her.

I stayed longer than expected and had to rush back to get lunch ready for the boys. Dxh and I had a bit of a disagreement. Well, actually I had a go at him for having a go at me for not putting all the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. He had asked me if I had forgotten how to put dishes into the dishwasher! I told him that he should walk a mile in my shoes before he judges me. I suggested that he too might not have had time to get things in the dishwasher if he was taking care of Ram 24/7!

When we sat down to lunch there was still a bit of an atmosphere, so I suggest that we change the subject and discuss the current changes in parliament, and that politics should be a little less dangerous to talk about! We laughed at that, and then had to explain to Ram that people usually avoided politics because it could lead to argument, but we actually decided to talk about it to stop another argument!

All three of us discussed Gordon Brown and Ed Balls, the new man in the new department for Children, Schools and Families. I do wonder why they have to keep changing the names of the departments.

Because Ursula and family are coming to stay soon, I had suggested to the boys that they tidy up the Action Men upstairs so that there would be somewhere for people to sleep, and to move out a table that we have in the sleeping area that is doing nothing there.

When I went up to look they have moved it into the Lego area and had already set up some Lego on it!

After lunch they decided that rather than play Lego they would play chess. When I came back down from my nap they were busy concentrating on a game of chess that doesn't use all the pieces. Our set is called Quick Chess but despite the name the games were not always quick.

Dxh won two games, Ram one, and they drew on the fourth. Amazingly, Ram wasn't upset by not winning! He has come a long way from the days where if he didn't win the first time we played a game he would refuse to ever play it again.

I had to go off to pick up some painkillers for Arrow and when I got back the boys were playing chess again. I also noticed that there was a try of clean dishes which were sitting on the side, no where near the cupboard that they belonged in. Clearly Dxh had tried to empty the dishwasher but got waylaid.

So I teasingly asked Ram if I should reek revenge on Dxh. Ram looked puzzled and Dxh looked worried. So with a big grin on my face I asked him if he had forgotten how to put clean dishes away!

He said that he had been distracted by a ground to air attention seeking missile, an affectionate name he has for Ram. We all had a laugh but I think he got the point – I hope!

We tried the same bedtime routine of turning off the computer before supper as last night but it didn't work so well. He got into Lego instead so we were later than I would have liked, especially as I was tired. I had been off in one direction to visit MDF, back to sort out lunch and work in the garden, not to mention sorting out some Internet orders, then off in the opposite direction to pick up the painkillers for Arrow. But even though Ram was on the go all day with Dxh, he still has energy to spare.

I guess according to the law of conservation of energy it stands to reason that for all the energy I am lacking, Ram must have extra!

No comments: