Thursday 14 June 2007

Managed Some Crafts!

Last night was a late night for us again. Ram just can't get to sleep if there is the slightest bit of light around, so I have given up tying to get to bed at a decent time. The problem is Arrow likes to get up with the cows next door! They start milking them at 10 to six, so if I don't get up then, Arrow reminds me with a bark or two!

Because Ram was late getting to sleep I let him sleep in for a while. When he did wake up we did our usual reading in bed. Because he was late waking up it meant that we didn't actually get out of bed to get dressed until 11! By the time he had breakfast it was nearly my lunch time. But one of the joys of home education is that you can do these things, and there isn't anyone to tell you that you have to have lunch at a certain time.

It was raining again today on and off, which is great because the veggies I planted out the other day needed it. Unfortunately it also brings out the snails so I hope the thrushes were busy too!

As it was raining, after his morning of Dr Who Ram went back onto the computer to play his Warhammer game. That meant that I could catch up with some emails. Most of my social life takes place on the Internet these days. One email list I belong to is for spinners and weavers and there were a few of them yesterday that seemed to be at a loose end and we had a great old time with lots of banter, and reminisces of the old days. They are a great bunch of people and it is like going out to a party sometimes, only without having to leave my chair.

Ram decided to make something for Dxh for Father's day, and has chosen a tray, so that he can carry his cup of tea and biscuits from his kitchen to his sitting room. He is going to make a mosaic for the tray. We bought all the materials from Opitec some time ago, but it is only now that Ram feels ready to work on it. He laid out the tiles the way he wanted them, but then found that he didn't have enough to do the pattern he wanted. I made a few suggestions, and eventually he found a way to do the last few rows keeping the symmetry he wanted.

He doesn't want to glue the tiles down himself because he is afraid that he will do it wrong, so I will do that for him, then we can get mucky together and put the grout in.

Ram finds this sort of creativity very difficult. He has ideas in his head but because they don't come out they way he wants them to, he rarely will try to do them. He hated colouring as a little one because he couldn't keep in the lines, so he never did it even though I told him that if he practised it would become easier.

I loved colouring as a child, so I had been collecting colouring books from charity shops for him! Luckily his friend Sheepy likes to colour so he gets the pick of the colouring books when he comes round. And if I had the time I would colour them myself!

After Spring Watch we went back to our computers until it was dark. By then I was nearly asleep on my feet. Ram however, had loads more to tell me about Bionicles! Poor thing. I know he loves them and I do try to show an interest, but at 11 at night, I just can't manage it!

No comments: