Tuesday 26 June 2007

Sleep Problems Again

Last night we actually managed to get to sleep early! My ploy of getting him up earlier because it was dark with the weather worked! He didn't wake up any earlier though, which makes me think that he is lacking sleep.

We didn't have much time to read as it was swimming day and we wanted to get there before the school children got out of the pool, as last week they took all the cubicles and were very noisy!

Ram was slow to get going, with lots of stopping to talk to me, or should I say stopping to tell me about Bionicles! He ended up having to eat his breakfast in the car! Luckily we are not cereal people, so there was no problem having hambacon in the car.

We were worried that we wouldn't get there early enough but amazingly, the school children didn't turn up so the whole place was lovely and quiet!

Even though we were first in the pool, it was still a full house by the time all the other disabled people arrived. For some reason the lifeguards turned on some music. It was actually pleasant music, sounding like African rather than Caribbean, but still having a feel of sunshine and beaches. However, Ram is sensitive to things like music and he didn't like it. Afterwards I had a quick word with one of the other carers and she said that sometimes they have people who can't cope with the music and they have to ask them to turn it off. I don't mind it on sometimes, but I hope they don't put it on every week.

After swimming we went on our usual shopping trip. The first few shops were ok, as they were part of our usual routine, but then we had to go to the chemist to get some more bandages for Arrow. She is licking a little sore on her leg and we have to wrap it up to stop her. Ram didn't cope well and kept trying to talk to me even though I was talking to the woman serving us. I kept pointing out that I needed to speak to the lady, and while I was getting my change from her I ignored him.

When I had put my change away I turned to him and he demanded to know why I hadn't answered him, I pointed out to him that I was talking to the lady serving us. He went a bit quiet. I honestly don't think that he can tell when others are talking to me. I don't know if it is a sensory thing where he can't block out all the noise and lights and so only concentrates on me, or whether he is just so anxious that his brain closes down and he can't see or hear properly. Maybe one day we will find out.

Our last shop is always the greengrocer and again this week there was a new person. She is very quiet whereas the other two that are normally there who know us well are friendly and outgoing. There were also a lot of people in the shop today. I parked Ram in his buggy in the corner by the tills as usual while I started choosing my veggies. I could hear him singing his sheep song (I'm a sheep, baa baa.) but when I turned around I got a surprise. He had put the blanket over his head and covered himself completely!

Luckily I am not bothered by these things any more, and can just go round smiling at people and shaking my head. I find if you smile at them enough, even the most disapproving ones will eventually smile back.

I was hoping that we could get to bed early tonight, but the sun is out and Ram just won't come upstairs. When I finally got him into bed we had a talk about it. For him the problem is that he gets involved with his games and can't stop. He suggested that we watch more TV in the evening, but of course this time of year there isn't much one. We do have a lot recorded from the last few weeks when we were watching Spring Watch, so in the end we decided that Ram would actually turn off the computer before supper. We always eat during the Funny Thing on Radio 4 at Six Thirty, so I will give him a five minute warning so that he can turn the computer off, then at seven when supper is over we can watch the Saving Wildlife programme, then after that we will either watch something that we have previously recorded or read aloud.

I just hope that he still agrees in the morning!

No comments: