Wednesday 15 August 2007

Action From Yesterday's Talk

The talk we had last night must have been spot on because this morning after reading for a while and getting dressed, when I mentioned helping me carry down some boxes he said ok!

I went down to make his breakfast (the usual 'warm bread and mingmight'!) and I could hear some thumping going on. It went across the floor upstairs and then started down he stairs! I went over to check and there he was, standing halfway down the stairs, backwards, supporting a large carton!

He told me that he had found a good way of getting the box down the stairs without having to pick it up, as it was too big for him to pick up! That's my boy! Always able to solve a practical problem, but hopeless at remember to brush his teeth or go to the toilet!

He brought down a couple more cartons, then had some breakfast. Afterwards while I started unpacking he brought down the rest! But he really couldn't help put things on shelves, he just couldn't manage that bit.

He went off and wondered around aimlessly for a while, and then the post came with the DVD which happened to be Blackadder goes Forth!

This was just the chilling out device that Ram needed. I was able to carry on unpacking while he watched the complete series – twice!

Twice is all he needs to repeat all the best lines. But it also gave him a look at trench warfare and the futility of it all. I was able to tell him about his great-grandfather who lived through the trenches, and about some of the terrible things that went on. I always cry at the end of it, so that was another opportunity to explain about emotions and why some people feel them and how they feel them.

We finished the evening with Heroes again. He is really enjoying it, and it is leading to some interesting conversations. I can use them both to gage how much he is understanding, and also to exercise his imagination the 'what do you think will happen next week' type questions!

No comments: