Wednesday 8 August 2007

More Sheep in the House

We started with reading The Last Hero again, and stayed in bed longer than usual as the book is so interesting. I really must try to find a book about de Vinci, especially one with the drawings. I bought a book about Escher from Bibliophile and just left it lying around until Ram found it. He loves it and often spends time looking through it, and will then come running up to us to point out something that he has noticed for the first time.

I guess I have a soft spot for Escher myself, as a family I worked for when I was a Nanny had an original Escher. They also had a couple of Hockney's. Interestingly, they weren't particularly wealthy, just happened to be in the right place at the right time to buy these paintings and etchings. I used to love to just stand and look at them, but of course I now know that I am a visual learner.

I think Ram is too, but I have never managed to get him to a gallery. We would only be able to manage it if it was a private showing with only us in it! But he does like looking at art books, and that I can supply him with. It makes me realise that those kids who hate going to galleries or looking at art books probably aren't visual learners and don't get anything out of it.

We watched some TV that we needed to catch up with. We have a duel tuner hard disk recorder, with a lot of space, but it is totally full! We made the mistake of just recording things to it at first, regardless as to whether we wanted to save them for ever or not. So now there are a lot of things on there that we want to 'save to tape' so we can keep them forever. Ram really does go back and watch old episodes of Horizon!

I managed to get Ram to come back to reading this afternoon, which was good. I think we are starting to break the computer obsession now – I hope! And this evening we managed to eat outside! It was lovely and warm - one of the first time this summer! We like to sit out there with the radio so that we can listen to 'the funny thing' on Radio 4.

This evening Ram did go on the computer but we stopped to watch Heroes. Ram is really enjoying it, along with the programme afterwards about how Heroes is made.

We then went up to bed with his new sheep! Not a real one of course! Ram has always slept on a sheepskin. When he got too big for his baby one, we bought an adult size one. But they are made from shorn sheep so it isn't soft wool against the skin. Ram won't wear pyjamas or anything else on his body at night, and hasn't done since he was two. Back then all he would wear was his nappy.

When we went to the country show last month, we came across a stall selling sheep wool products and they had a child size skin that was very very soft. So we thought about what to do and I decided that I could buy two and sew them together. They were £50 each, but that is what DLA is for!

They arrived today, and I aired them out for most of the day. I was worried that Ram might not like the smell. I needn't have! He climbed into bed, snuggled down, and said that he thought he had died and gone to heaven!

He then quickly added that he didn't really mean that!

I just hope it does help him get to sleep as he has been having real problems over the past month.

No comments: