Tuesday 7 August 2007

My Budding Engineer

Today was disabled swimming session day. For some reason Ram was very stressed when we got there. I really don't know why. He sat at the side of the pool for some time before I was able to get him in, and even then he was clingy and whining.

Eventually I was able to get him to laugh and he was better, but not his usual self. I think it may be all the build up of stress having the carpenters here for the kitchen over the last two weeks. Even when he was more relaxed he still couldn't cope with me talking to other people, although he doesn't see to mind me talking with some of the disabled people who don't make a lot of sense! I guess he doesn't feel threatened by them. But I still can't talk more than a couple of minutes.

Afterwards we went for our usual shop with Ram in his buggy. He must really look something with his dark glasses, and his hat over his eyes! I will have to get someone to take a photo of us!

Now that we are getting our vegetables delivered by a box scheme, we don't have to go into the greengrocer and Ram was much happier for that. We bought a bun from the bakery and sat in the sun and ate it.

When we got back home there was a big parcel on the door step. Ram was all excited because he thought that it might be the Lego he ordered, and was disappointed to find that it was a new slow cooker.

Ram will only eat ham, fried like bacon, hence the name hambacon. It is much cheaper to buy a gammon and cook and slice it myself. I had a wonderful proper slow cooker of my mother-in-laws which finally gave up the ghost. It must be about 30 years old so it has done well. I found it was brilliant at cooking the gammon, as well as the dog food we make, so I bought another one. Sadly they don't make them like they used to, so it was a compromise. And it wasn't Lego!

But then, imagine Ram's delight when the Parcel Force man came in the afternoon! Yes, it was the Lego!

He immediately set to work making it all up.






I know that Ram spends a lot of time playing with Lego, but there is another way of looking at it: he is honing his engineering skills!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Abbie,

It is so good to catch up on you and Ram via your blog! A real treat to read a number of days at once. Please keep writing...

love,
Anna