Monday 20 August 2007

An Educational Day of Computer Games

Often people worry that if left to their own devices their children would play computer games all day.

Ram is one of those children! But just because he is playing computer games all day doesn't mean to say he isn't learning. In fact, setting aside anything he might have learned from playing The Sims today, he has also did the following:

1.Read more of The Science of Discworld and discussed it with me.
2.Ordered a birthday present for his Dad (won't say what it is incase Dxh is reading this!
3.Read a couple of newspaper articles.
4.Discussed the weather and Hurricane Dean
5.helped me eat a home-made Lemon Drizzle cake (refuse to help bake it!)
6.Watched Newsround after Raven.
7.Listened to The Funny Thing on Radio 4 which came from the Edinburgh Festival so we discussed that as well.
8.Watched Enemies of Reason by Richard Dawkins.


All this while playing The Sims all day!

I got The Sims for him because people say that it is good for Aspies to play as it helps them to understand relationships. Well, this Aspie is playing with a single character, and goes around setting the other people on fire! He says it is fun because you get to see The Grim Reaper!

I don't like it because the characters actually scream! But I know if I make too much fuss about it he will want to do it all the more, so I have just told him that I don't like it and I don't want to see it. When he sets people on fire I leave the room. It won't take long for him to give up doing that!

No comments: