Tuesday 14 August 2007

We Found the Problem!

Well, part of the problem I think. It is so hard to really get to the bottom of these things as there may be more than one thing in play, and just getting Ram to discuss things is difficult enough.

This evening we started the conversation a little earlier about what it upsetting him so much. Ram had had 24 hours to think about it. Because of his processing problems, sometimes it take that long or longer to be able to think about something and to find the words to describe it.

Ram finally told me that even through the carpenters are gone, because not everything is back in the kitchen there is still a problem. He is having to get used to the kitchen in the first place. Every time he comes into the kitchen he has to get used to it again, and because I keep slowly moving things in, it is different every time so he has to get used to it all over again!

So we discussed how we could work around this. I explained that I couldn't be with him during the day and also unpack the kitchen. After letting him think about this for a while I suggested that he help me. He said that he didn't know where things would go. I proffered that if he helped me put things on the shelves he would find out and maybe remember where they go!

Ram didn't think that he could cope with that, but he did think that he could carry some of the boxes downstairs for me while I put things on the shelves.

We also talked about puberty. Well, I talked about puberty and he listened! I explained that sometimes as you grow up it takes time for the hormones to catch up and stableise and that this can lead to people feeling moody sometimes. He took that all in, but didn't make any comment.

I won't dwell on that too much, as I know the thought of change in himself is a difficult for him to cope with as is change in the environment around him. But at least he knows what to expect!

I am really glad that we always read in bed before going to sleep. It means that he has time to relax after difficult talks such as this one. There is nothing like cuddling up close and listening to a heavy going science book talking about the origins of life on planet Earth!

No comments: