Saturday 11 August 2007

Family Meeting is a Success

We had our monthly family meeting today. These are really going well. It gives everyone a chance to say things. Today we discussed how many socks Ram can manage to put on, the new routines around the new sinks in the kitchen and utility room, (I can highly recommend having a separate sink for washing dishes from food preparation!) discussed our visit next month to our friends house and what Ram is worried about (people talking to him, noticing him, and people in general!) and then was the final announcement – we were going to have a day off from working on the kitchen and study!

Dxh wasn't too happy about this but I could see that Ram was really so very stressed, and Dxh as well, that I thought we needed it.

And I am glad we did! We had a lovely barbecue lunch, with Ram and Dxh having a sponge fight while I was cooking. Then after we finished eating we got out our good old Philips Science Encyclopaedia and looked up the periodic table. It is amazing how much more sense it makes in daylight! Then after my nap Ram and I got into our bathing suites and braved the pool.

It isn't a big pool, just 10 feet across, but because the weather has been so cold this summer we haven't been in much, and the water in it is cold too. We decided it was too cold to actually go down into the water so we walked around and around in circles for a while. Then when Ram wasn't looking I grabbed a sponge and threw it at him!

That of course lead to a great sponge fight! Sadly, somehow, Dxh had managed to 'forget' his swim trunks so he was in charge of Ram's little video camera.





We then had some fun editing the video and sending it to friends. So even on a hot summers day there are things to learn!

In the evening we watched Parallel Worlds – A User's Guide. It was a bit of fun and ties in nicely with the book we are reading at the moment, The Science of Discworld.

And more education, this time the Perseids! I had set up the garden chairs before hand, and when I was so tired that I could hardly keep my eyes open (about 10!) we went outside. I told Ram that it was cold and that he would need something on his feet, but he refused to put shoes on. We took our blankets out but before long he was too cold and went back in. Although he said I could stay out I could see him pacing back and forth inside, not knowing what to do, so I gave up.

I just hope that the weather is ok for tomorrow!

No comments: